"The South Odisha Cultural Study Center" has been functioning as an extension of SAP of the Department of Odia since 21.03.2014 vide Syndicate Resolution No.546 dated 28.10.2014.
Aims and Objectives
- Collect, preserve and promote study and research on the culture of South Odisha.
- Carry out research initiatives on language, dialect, Jagannath culture and performing tradition.
- Encourage Publication of Books, Monographs and Research Papers.
- Conduct extensive field studies.
- Conduct documentation of tribal culture, folklore and digitalization of palm-leaf manuscripts.
- Rejuvenate the performing tradition of folk music of South Odisha.
- Develop a Folk and Tribal Museum.
- Develop a Palm-leaf Museum.
Activities Undertaken (Seminars Conducted)
- “Performing tradition of South Odisha” during 24-25 March, 2014.
- “Tribal Culture of South Odisha” during 29-30 March, 2014.
- “The Mahaprasad as a Religious Resource” (Economy of Jagannath Temple) on 7th February, 2015
- “Padma Shree Bhagaban Sahu Memorial Lecture” on 21st March, 2015.
- “Folk and Tribal Culture of South Odisha” on 22nd March, 2015.
- “Dr. Beni Madhab Padhi Memorial Lecture” on 11th April, 2015.
- “Nabakalebaraa: An Interface”, by Ronald Heidenberg, Germany on 11th April, 2015.
- “Folk Culture of South Odisha” on 12th April, 2015.“Culture of South Odisha” in collaboration with Sahitya Akademi, Odisha on 1st October, 2015.
- Palm-leaf Manuscripts about 2015 numbers.
- Paper Manuscripts and Books/Journals/Periodicals- 7000.
- Tribal artifacts from South Odisha.
- Folk Traditional Materials.
- Chairman- Professor Dr. Deepak Kumar Behera, Vice-Chancellor, Berhampur University.
- Director- Prof. Devi Prasan Patnaik, Coordinator, Dept of Odia, Berhampur University.
- Deputy. Director- Prof. Prasan Kumar Swain, Asst. Coordinator, Dept of Odia, Berhampur University.
- The SOCSC has signed MOU with the Tubingen University, Tubingen, Germany on 02.12.2013.
- Collaborative research with University of Groningen, The Netherland.
- Collaborative research with Prakiti Ramesh, Dept. of Culture and society Material Culture of Marginalized Community of Odisha and Aarhus University, Denmark on 10.09.2014
- Procurement of Books 1640
- Field Studies Conducted 12
- M.Phil. in Anthropology.
- M.Phil. in Performing Traditions.
- UGC Assistance under SAP, Odia
- University fund.
Advisory Body Members
- Prof. Deepak Kumar Behera, Vice-Chancellor, Berhampur University
- Prof. Prafulla Ch. Mishra, Vice-Chancellor, North Odisha Univer.sity
- Prof. S.N.Rath, Retd. Professor of Anthropology , Sambalpur University.
- Prof. K.K.Basa, Professor of Anthropology , Utkal University
- Prof.(Retd)Aswini Ku.Panda, Dept. of Odia, Berhampur University -
- Prof. Prasan Kumar Swain, Dept. of Odia, Berhampur University
- Sri Krushan Ch. Nisanka Retd. Cultural Officer, Ganjam, Berhampur
- Dr. P.K.Mahapatra, director, COATS, Koraput Odisha
- Prof.Devi Prasan Patnaik, Director, SOCSC, Berhampur University
- Prof. Baishnab Ch.Samal, UGC Nominee, SAP, Odia, Berhampur University
- Prof. Smt. Sanghamitra Mishra' UGC Nominee, SAP, Odia, Berhampur University
- Dr. Radha Govind Padhi, Curator, Dept. of Odia, Berhampur University, (convener)
- Sri Manoj Kumar Patnaik, Copyist,SOCSC. .
- Sri Prafulla Kumar Behera, Peon