1. Working hours of the Library
- Loan section works from 10.45 AM to 2.00 PM and 2.30 PM to 3.30 PM on all working days.
- Reference-cum-Reading Room Section is kept open from 8.00 a.m to 8.00 p.m during Monday to Friday and 10.30 a.m to 4.30 p.m on all Saturdays and Sundays.
- Journal Section is kept open from 10.30 AM to 4.30 PM on all working days.
- Property counter is kept open from 10.30 AM to 4.30 PM in all the working day.
2. Users of the Library
- The students of the P.G. Departments, teaching and non-teaching staff members of the University. M.Phil and research scholars and such other members coming under Rule 2 of Library Rule.
3. Conduct of the Library Users
- Readers desirous of using the Library should enter their names and addresses legibly in the register kept for the purpose and the signature so recorded will be treated as their acknowledgement to abide by the rules of the Library.
- Readers should not write or make any mark on or damage any book, manuscript or misuse the properties, belongings of the library.
- No tracing or mechanical reproduction is allowed without the permission of the Librarian.
- Silence should be strictly observed in the Library.
- Before leaving the library readers should return to the Library Assistant at the counter any books, journals, manuscripts, maps and other materials used or consulted by them.
- Readers are responsible for any damage or injury done to the books/journals or other properties belonging to the Library and should compensate the loss caused by them as determined by the Librarian. If a book of a set is damaged or lost, the whole set shall have to be replaced.
- Sticks, umbrellas, boxes and other articles prohibited by the staff should be deposited in the property counter.
- Spitting, smoking and shouting are strictly prohibited.
4. Persons entitled to take out printed books on loan enrolling themselves as members
- Any member or any of the authorities of Berhampur University, teachers, employees, P.G and M.Phil students and research scholars of this University.
5. Entailment of borrowing limit
- All University students / M.Phil students and research scholars of the University are allowed to borrow six books each at a time. Teachers are allowed to borrow 25 books. The other category of members can borrow books as per the rule (a) to (J) of Rule - 6 of the Library in force. Class III employees can borrow 3 books and class IV employees 2 books each at a time.
6. Penalty for loss of books and tickets
- Before taking a book out of the Library, a member must satisfy himself as to whether the book lent to him is in good condition or not and if not be must immediately bring the matter to the notice of the Librarian otherwise he is liable to be held responsible for the damaged state of the book. If a book of a set is damaged or lost the whole set may have to be replaced or the value as assessed by the Librarian be immediately paid to the Library or the book or set in question be actually replaced by the borrower. In case a book is lost, triple the cost will be realized from the borrower. In case a ticket is lost, Rs. 10/- per ticket is levied for issue of each duplicate ticket.
7. Books not to be lent out
Periodicals, back copies of journals, dictionaries, rare books, thesis, dissertations other reference and highly illustrated works, works which might be difficult to replace and such other works as may from time to time be considered necessary will not be lent out to any member.
8. Return of Books
- All books on Loan must be returned at the expiry of time given on the date of issue.
9. Overdue charge
- Ordinarily no one shall be exempted from payment of overdue charges.
- The Librarian shall have the power to allow any exemption of overdue charges in case of officers, teachers and members of the authorities of the University and also extend the due date period in case of other categories of borrowers for good and sufficient reasons to be recorded in writing.
- A member against whom any overdue or other charges are outstanding shall not be allowed to borrow books or withdraw his deposit until he has paid the amount due.
10. Renewal of borrowing books
- Loan of a book may be renewed for a further period of two more terms provided that no other reader has applied for the book in the mean time. For renewal of any book the member shall physically produce the book at the charging counter. The Librarian shall have the discretionary power to recall a book at any time from any member before the expiry of the due date.
11. Forfeiture of the privileges
- Any infringement of the rule will lead to the seizure of the privileges of admission of use and of borrowing of books from the Library in case of all members .
- An amount of Rs.500.00 per person will be collected from the VIP members and retired faculties of the university.
- Rs. 500.00 per person will be collected from the Research Scholars towards the membership fees.